GRADUATE DAY-OF INSTRUCTIONS
Commencement: Friday, May 10, 2019
- We ask all undergraduate students to come to 4th Street and Vine Avenue, behind the Main Library, at 5:30pm for check-in. Students wishing to participate in the ceremony must be in line by 6:30pm to be guaranteed a spot.
- Graduate students check-in at the Davis Sports Center (east of Arizona Stadium) at 6:00pm.
Stadium Entrance Map
Please view a map of the undergraduate and graduate student staging areas here.
- Identification: CatCard
- Regalia: cap and gown
- Ticket: the ceremony is ticketed for students, and all students who have completed their RSVP will receive a ticket via their official UA email address roughly 24 hours prior to Commencement. All graduating students need their ticket and their CatCard in order to enter Arizona Stadium.
- No large bags, backpacks, or parcels will be permitted into the stadium.
What to wear:
- All students participating in the ceremony must be wearing their regalia after check-in but before entering the stadium.
- Although what you wear under your gown is at your discretion, we encourage breathable clothing, as well as comfortable shoes.
- High heels are strongly discouraged.
What to know:
- We ask all students to come carrying their regalia. You will be screened through security first and then must robe before entering the stadium.
- We will provide water for every student, however, sealed water containers are permitted into the stadium.
- Photographers will be on site, but it is your responsibility to meet with them at check-in.
- #BearDownLife is the official UA Commencement hashtag. Make sure you are tagging all your photos with this to become a part of the excitement!
- Your student CatCard is required to access the field.
- Prior to the ceremony, choose a location to meet your guests once the event is over. Graduates and guests are encouraged to exit and meet on the UA Mall north of the stadium.
What to expect:
- It’s going to be warm and sunny. Make sure to drink plenty of water before and during the ceremony.
- Although it's graduation, all students are still held to the same expectations and standards outlined in the Student Code of Conduct handbook. Any individuals who violate these polices will be asked to leave the ceremony.
The University of Arizona desires to create a safe and secure environment for students and visiting guests throughout the University at all times, including during the Commencement and convocation ceremonies. To this end, the venue security personnel reserve the right to determine the method of security checks as they deem necessary and warranted, which may include the use of metal detectors or a physical search of clothing and other personal items. Refusing to go through a security check or not satisfactorily completing a security check may result in denial of entry into the Commencement and convocation ceremonies and possible removal from University property.
Core Information to Share with Your Guests
- Commencement will take place on Friday, May 10, 2019 at 7:30pm in Arizona Stadium. The event is expected to last approximately 90 minutes. Gates will open at 5:30pm. Guests may enter from any stadium entrance.
- The ceremony is not ticketed for guests and seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Graduating students must still RSVP for their guests.
- Commencement will enforce game-day rules. All attendees must abide by the clear bag policy for entry into the stadium. Please ensure you and your guests are familiar with this policy prior to Commencement. For additional information, please also review the Commencement Policies and FAQ pages.
- Balloons and view-obstructing banners are not permitted in the stadium. Dedicated balloon parking via pedestrian rail is available at each gate entrance outside of the stadium. We are not responsible for lost, damaged, or stolen property.
- It’s going to be warm and sunny, so tell your guests to drink plenty of water, wear a hat and sunglasses, and use sunscreen! Graduating students and guests should come prepared for temperatures in the upper 90’s when arriving at the stadium.
- Free parking is available for Commencement at all University surface lots and garages. More detailed information may be found at Parking & Travel.
- Further instructions and information for the day of Commencement may be found at Family & Guest Instructions, as well as Disability-Related Access for Commencement.